Emergency grants available for HSU students

Humboldt State University has received $16 million in the latest round of federal funding to support the University during the pandemic. $5 million of that is going directly toward emergency financial aid grants to students.

More than 4,100 students have already received emails the week of Feb. 15 notifying them they were automatically awarded grant funds, and those funds should already be deposited into student accounts. Eligible students are those who filled out a FAFSA application for the year 2020-2021. In the past, many students have had refunds lost or delayed through the mail service, the Financial Aid Office recommends signing up for direct deposit through the student center. 

 A Hardship Funds Request is available for students who didn’t qualify for  automatic grants. Juan Ruiz a a Student Services Specialist at the Financial Aid Office, says the Hardship Request forms are available to any HSU student struggling to meet basic needs. Applications are approved on a case-by-case basis so any one can apply but priority for the Hardship Funds will be given to those who have not received emergency grants this year. 

Students can visit the Humboldt State website and use the search bar to find the “Hardship Funds Request.” The Financial Aid office suggests $500 but students can request what they need. Whether students get the full amount they request will depend on how much they request and what other aid options are available. After applying to the “Hardship Funds Request,” there will be a two to three-week processing time. 

 More information about the grant will be communicated primarily through email and all campus portal announcements. Students are advised to keep an eye out for emails regarding grant processing and more information about how HSU will be using the remaining $11 million. 

If students have any questions about grant processing, they can email hsu-cash@humboldt.edu Or contact The Cashier’s Office Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at (707) 826-6789. Contacting the Financial aid office is another resource students can use to find more information.The best way to contact the office is by email at finaid@humboldt.edu. Emails are managed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Graphic by Alexandra Gonzalez

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *